Monday, June 26, 2006

An Epistle to A Friend

Dearest Aveesh,
Last month also I went to your house. Why? It was your birthday, you silly.No I didnt go to the house where achan and amma are staying.Somehow I get stuck at the house in the front portion of the large plot. The house where I knew our favourite lady, that sweet grandmother of urs and Saju's ...mine also ,would be waiting for me...with jars filled with chocolates and chips.

The 3 of u know very well that I wont fail to come , right? Well, so there she was , sitting pretty in her old age room the smell of sandalwood wafting around.

She gave me a tight hug that I had been missing so badly, a kiss on my forehead ,and said in her trembling voice ,"Oh dear, you have gone thinner!" I could almost see u brothers glance at each other, trying to stifle your smiles. (Honestly Aveesh, Im yet to find a more dazzling , more soul-filled smile than yours from a man)

"Probably she is on a diet", came the voice of Ranjini Ammaayi. Just as I was about to turn my head towards her, a pair of thin arms hugged me from behind.I turned my smile to a pair of lovely bright eyes. Gee Aveesh , Chithra is growing up into a real beauty.
Amaayi, as usual , was eager to tell and receive news from all our friends. But Ammoomma had only one person in her mind ,"Hows that tall doctor guy ?Is he still in America?"

Aaaahhhh... that tall doc guy, you ,and I...and Ammoomma...Those countless evenings that we spent in perfect harmony. Right from our highscool days till the time when we had to go our separate ways. Evenings filled with laughter, tears, fears and hopes.

Evenings of long walks together , me from my dance class and you from the library. You would point to the big orange sun at the end of M G Road and say, "See, who sid the sun needs a whole sea to set? He will happily settle for a clump of trees behind the collectorate.Even before its time for him to set"


As I took leave from your house, Ammomma told me that she would turn 94 that sunday. Her eyes were misty. She had a question in them and I turned my eyes away.What shall I tell her?
Cant write more.Hope you two are happy there.
Love...lots and lots...(wish I had the guts to say this louder early as well)

Me

PS: Ha ha strange isnt it? Ammomma is turning 94, and Chithrakkutti will be 15.And you, Aveesh, you will always be 26 while I step into my forties without any excitement.


(Below is a poem written by the Malayalam poet Atuur Ravivarmma in memory of Aveesh, his brother Sajush,and Swaminthan, another boy who ,like the other two, decided to set very early)



മക്കള്‍
ആറ്റൂര്‍ രവിവര്‍മ്മ



ഒരു മുത്തശ്ശി തൃ
ശ്ശിവപുരം , അതിന്‍
നടുമച്ചില്‍ നിന്നും
പിഴുതെടുത്തല്ലോ
വരിയായി മൂന്നു
മനോഹരങ്ങളാ-
മുരുവങ്ങള്‍...

കനലൊളിയുള്ള
ചെറുമുഖങ്ങള്‍,ന-
ല്ലറിവലിയിക്കും
മിഴികള്‍,കൈകളി-
ലിണക്കമുദ്രയോ
ഒരു കവിതയോ
കതിര്‍ക്കുലകളോ

ഇവരെ പൂക്കളാല്‍
അലങ്കരിച്ചു നാം,
ഇവരില്‍ നാം ശുഭാ-
ശുഭങ്ങളെ കേട്ടു,

ഇവരെ നമ്മുടെ
നിലനില്‍പ്പു കാക്കും
കുമാരന്മാരയ്‌ നാ-
മടയാള്‍ം കണ്ടു

പുലരിതന്‍ മക-
നൊരാള്‍ ; വെയിലിന്റെ
മകനൊരാള്‍;നിലാ-
മകനുമാണൊരാള്‍

ഇവരെ നാം കണ്ടു
പിരിഞ്ഞ,തിന്നലെ
ശിവാലയത്തിന്റെ
നടകളില്‍ മരങ്ങള്‍
തന്‍ കടത്തണല്‍കളില്‍
നഗര നന്മത-
ന്നിടങ്ങളിലൊക്കെ
വിധിയെന്നോ , വാഴ്‌വ്‌ ,
കിനാവെന്നോ,വീഴും
തിരയെന്നോ
മനസ്സ്ടയ്ക്കുവാന്‍
പിരികള്‍ തെറ്റിയ
പഴയ മൂടികള്‍-

മറവി പോലെന്നും
ഉറക്കം പോലെന്നും
തരിച്ച പോലെന്നും
ഒരു ചെറുപൂവോ
ഒരു തുള്ളി മഞ്ഞോ
പിളരും മിന്നലോ
ഉപമ കൊണ്ടു നാ-
മളന്നു നോക്കുന്നു
കളരിയില്‍ നിന്നു-
മിറങ്ങിയേയുള്ളു,
ചുവടുകള്‍ വെച്ചു
തുടങ്ങിയേയുള്ളു,
ശ്രുതിയുമായവ-
രിണങ്ങിയേയുള്ളു
തുടക്കത്തില്‍ത്തന്നെ-
യരങ്ങു വീണല്ലോ.

മുറിവുകള്‍ വിട്ട
വടുക്കളായിട്ടോ,
മിഴിപെടുമക-
പ്പടങ്ങളായിട്ടോ,
മൊഴികളായിട്ടോ,
ചിരികളായിട്ടോ,
വരികളായിട്ടോ,
ഉരുവങ്ങളുണ്ടാ-
യിരുന്നെന്നു നമ്മോ-
ടുരിയാടും ഒഴി-
ഞ്ഞിടങ്ങളായിട്ടോ
ഇനിയിനി നിങ്ങള്‍!

15 Comments:

Blogger Kalesh Kumar said...

ഉമേച്ചീ, നല്ലവര്‍ ആദ്യം പോകും....
ലോകമങ്ങനെയല്ലേ?

2:18 PM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

some people seldom speak.. yet, its enuf that they break the silver silence, once in a while!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Achinthya said...

അതെല്ലേ കലെഷ്, പോട്ടെ.പോവണതാ അവര്‍ക്കും നല്ലത് .അല്ലെങ്കി മീഡിയോക്രിറ്റിടെ ഈ ലോകത്ത് അവര്‍ വല്ലാണ്ടേ വിഷമിച്ചേനെ.Infact had Aveesh been here with us today,he would have been most disillusioned.nannaayi poyathu.

Vels...thanks.Infact I blabber too much. I wanted him to be my fav secret woe. And now look!

Love

10:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some people dazzle us with their charisma in their youth and as you said 'set' in the youthful years. They are stars so bright, they illuminate not only theirs but the lives of those who happen to breeze past them.

May be God wants them to remain 'bright' forever. He calls them back early so that time will not try to cover up their brightness.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ഉമേച്ചി,
അവിടെ എവിടെങ്കിലും ഉണ്ടെങ്കില്‍ പ്രത്യക്ഷപ്പെടാന്‍ അപേക്ഷ..ഉമേച്ചി എന്താന്നെ മലയാളത്തില്‍ എഴുതാത്തെ? മലയാളത്തില്‍ എഴുതാണ്ടിരിക്കണത്, ഞങ്ങളോട് കാണിക്കണ ഒരു ക്രൂരത അല്ലെ? :)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Achinthya said...

Yes, Dilbu,
fireflies...Better life than the dull ones of us worms.Thanks for dropping by.
എല്‍ജിക്കുട്ട്യേ
ഞനിവടെണ്ടല്ല്ലോ...ഉമ്മ

11:40 PM  
Blogger മുല്ലപ്പൂ said...

ഇപ്പോളേ വായിച്ചുള്ളൂ..
ദൈവത്തിനിഷ്ടപ്പെട്ടവര്‍ വെഗം പൊകുംന്നു സമാധാനിക്കാം..

4:31 PM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

Umechi...
ever heard of an update???
it has been monthzzzzzzzz!!
grrrrr...

:)

11:28 PM  
Blogger pr!tz said...

chakkarayummma!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:17 AM  
Blogger mayenfeld said...

a sad hindi tune was playing on my comp. while i was reading your letter and as a result, both pieces have left me in a rather somber frame of mind at the present...

10:05 PM  
Blogger Kalesh Kumar said...

ഉമേച്ചീ‍...... എവിട്യാ??????

7:35 PM  
Blogger ദേവന്‍ said...

ഹൈ. ഇതാരാ പ്രൊഫൈലിലെ കുഞ്ഞുവാവ? അചിന്ത്യ തന്നെ?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

Hi....from Deepak the great.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Sapna Anu B.George said...

The last call comes at the very wrong time when we need them the most......like parents, great blog Achindya

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home